Friday 13 April 2012

Maningning Miclat

I told you briefly about Ate Maningning a few weeks ago, right? For some reason today, I have been thinking about her. I hope you have met her where you are now because I know she can teach you a lot of things, most particularly on painting.

I don't think I have told you much about her though. Not that I know a lot myself, but I have been reading a lot of articles about her and her works. According to some information that I've gathered through the web, she was born and raised in Beijing, China. Her family returned to the Philippines after she graduated from junior high school. She started painting when she was 10. Then she had her first exhibit of her Chinese paintings at the Cultural Centre of the Philippines when she was 15. But Ate Maningning is not only a painter, she was also a published author and a poet. In fact, I think she had at least three books published in her lifetime. And also, she wrote her poems in three languages - Chinese, English and Filipino. And from what I have read, she sounds like an amazing person. Unfortunately, she joined Father God when she was 28. She jumped from the seventh floor of the Far Eastern University in Manila. She was teaching there at that time. I still don't know the reason why she chose to end her life that soon because there is not much written about why she did it.

I am writing about her now because it's her birthday on Sunday. She would have been 40. You are both sayang you know. You were both so talented and good hearted to be taken away too soon. How I wish you were both still here so you could have shared your talents to a wider range of people. Well at least for Ate Maningning, she had the opportunity to exhibit her paintings at the CCP and she has had books published. You know what? I had that dream for you, too. I wanted your paintings to be exhibited in some galleries in Manila. I know it may be impossible, but you'll never know. But at least your paintings at one point were displayed at the CASA San Miguel. That's good enough for me, for now anyway. Don't worry anak, one day our dream of having your own gallery will come true. With God's help and your prayers, I know it will happen. One day.....

And you know what else inspired me? Ate Maningning's family actually has put up a foundation in her memory. I am so jealous. Remember I told you I would do the same for you? However, it's quite difficult at the moment because it involves a lot of money. I have been researching online on how to put up a foundation in the Philippines, but apparently I will need at least one million pesos to start up a foundation over there. It's silly really because all I want is to help children your age who are talented but shall I say financially deprived, so they can go to an art or music school for free. Maybe we can just start with something small and see what happens. My other option is to set up a charity here (in London). I am in the process of inquiring about this. So please anak, pray for me.

If you see Ate Maningning, please extend my warmest birthday greetings to her.

I would like to end this letter by sharing one of Ate Maningning's poems:



Why A Mural ?

I want space -
a two dimensional space.

To form form and forms
that change , while my arm
sways, my hand holds the brush to play
with the glacial acrylic paints.

Forms that bring back
the balance and rhythm
of xieyi painting
where yin is left in the whiteness
of rice paper, and yang is limned
by the shades of gray and black ink.

A space for the music of painting
where white is not blank but tone
and black is the silent interval
cantata that springs forth from the air
vanishes back
and remains as brushstrokes.

To absorb a process of change
in the gesture of a fearless arm
emotion that moves and grows:
forms being formed to forget
the finiteness of beginnings.

Beside this poem
is a prayer
frozen in the acrylic paints.

Beside this poem
is a mural
- a desire for space.



I have to go anak. I am going home to London tonight. Please watch over me. I love you so much. Missing you all the time.


Mommy Tintin


Sources:



1 comment:

  1. sorry to hear about the passing ng little angel mo maam. we all know na nasa better place na sila. maningning and your little keith are smiling now as they guide us galing sa taas. cheer up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...